Saturday, February 12, 2011

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

Mmmm.... Organically, me.
Who doesn't love homebaked cookies? Warm off the rack! I love how the chocolate, still soft from the oven, melts in your mouth as you bite in! But what I don't like about cookies, are all the refined sugars and grains that are called for in the ingredients.

It was hard to find the right recipe for a whole wheat cookie. I tried running some wheat berries through my mill, but it came out too grainy. I finally settled on King Arthur's White Whole Wheat Flour. Its fresh, whole grain flour milled from White Winter Wheat. Its lighter than the red winter berries we're used to using in our whole grain baking, so its better for cakes and cookies.

The idea was simple: I took a basic Chip Cookie Recipe and simply substituted for the ingredients I felt were more fresh and wholesome: wheat flour for all purpose, raw demerera for granulated and brown sugars, and fresh free range pastured eggs instead of conventional. I use organic chips and real vanilla, and in the end you have a very tasty morsel to snack on! These cookies are by no means "good" for you and all sweets should be consumed in moderation, but by changing out poor ingredients for smarter, healthier ones, you can feel a little less guilty about that extra bite!

2 1/4 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups Raw Demerera Sugar**
1 tsp Vanilla
2 large fresh eggs
2 cups Organic chocolate chips

PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees
COMBINE flour, baking soda, salt- set aside. Cream butter, sugar, vanilla, and eggs. Gradually mix in flour mixture. Stir in chips. Drop rounded tablespoons on baking sheet. 
BAKE 9-11 minutes until golden brown. Cool 2 minutes on sheet and transfer to rack.

** Sometimes Demerera can be a little coarse for baking. I run the measured amount of sugar through my Magic Bullet until it becomes the consistency of conventional refined white sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment