Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sweet and Spicy BBQ

While I come from unique stock in that we were always taught how to "do our own" growing up, my husband by nature is much more the American Norm. And with Super Bowl Sunday approaching he was determined to serve wings at his party. For me, wings seemed to be too high a cost with little reward. An entire pint (16 oz) of my sauce is approximately 400 calories vs 900 cal of one bottle (18 oz) of a particular well known brand, not to mention big box companies do not care about quality. We compromised, and he allowed me to quarter two of our pastured hens in lieu of frying a bag of wings.

When it came time to slough on the BBQ, he was very nervous when I pulled a simmering pot from the stove top rather than a bottle from the pantry. "Where's the sauce?" he kept asking me, even as I was painting the chicken. But in the end, his and his friends' eyes lit up with excitement from the first bite! "Who knew something so healthy could taste so good?" his friend complimented.

SWEET AND SPICY BBQ

32oz/1 qt jar Home-grown Home-canned Tomatoes
6 Tbsp Raw Demerera Sugar***
4 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
4 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Mustard (I prefer Lars' Own Swedish Style Mustard)
1 clove Garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste
Dried Chilli to taste
Red Pepper to taste


Sauce Tomatoes. (I run them through my magic bullet.) Combine ingredients in saucepan. Simmer 45 minutes until reduced by half.

**If you prefer to use honey, substitute 1/4 cup raw local honey for Raw Demerera.

No comments:

Post a Comment