Saturday, February 12, 2011

Homemade Chicken Nuggets



Did you know that a fast food chicken nugget contains petroleum based products among its list of ingredients? Not to mention the plethora of other ingredients I couldn't even begin to pronounce! But with a picky four year old eater, tasty kid friendly foods are hard to come by.

The nugget is an easy concept. Its a blend of meat, filling, and flavor baked (not fried!) golden brown! After a bit of experimenting, I've discovered a tasty  homemade nugget that my son loves and I give to him, guilt free, upon his request!  

1 lb free range pastured chicken breast
1 fresh free range pastured egg
1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
dash white pepper
whole wheat bread crumbs
fresh grated Parmesan Cheese

Put chicken breast into food processor. Add egg and blend on high until mixture resembles hamburger texture. Add flour, salt, garlic, and pepper. Continue to process in food processor until well mixed. On separate plate mix bread crumbs and Parmesan Cheese. Roll chicken nuggets in crumbs and cheese and flatten into patty shape. Spritz with olive oil (if desired, not necessary) and bake 25 minutes at 375 degrees on baking sheet.

I serve this up with a side of homemade potato wedges and 100% whole grain mac and cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment