Wednesday, February 16, 2011

All-Natural Meat Lover's Pizza

Fast Food pizza is probably the most disgusting, awful stuff you can eat, when it comes to pizza. The crust is made from refined and bleached grains, the sauce is loaded with sugar, the cheese is poor quality and loaded with fats; not to mention the meat toppings are processed, made from industry, and are full of fats as flavor-fillers. It is nothing but refined, nutritionally-empty calories.

And we all love it. 

My husband and son especially love pizza. I'm pretty sure my boys were Ninja Turtles in a previous life. But I refuse to chock up the cash for expensive, un-healthy pies. I wanted to learn to make my own. It took me a while to tweak a good crust recipe, but in the end I discovered a quick and whole grain crust that does phenomenally for my boys' appetites! I pair the crust with homemade tomato sauce (sans sugar) and fresh mozzarella, homemade if possible. For toppings we use local, all natural pork sausage, pastured all-natural beef, and if I'm able to find it, all natural pork bacon. Fridays are always a treat at our house!

PIZZA CRUST

2 1/2 - 3 Cups Whole Wheat Flour  (You can use White Whole Wheat or Regular Whole Wheat)
1 Tbsp Raw Demerera
1 tsp sea salt
2 1/4 tsp yeast
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Cup very warm water

Mix 1 cup of flour, salt, and yeast. Dissolve Demerera in warm water. Add oil and water to bowl, mixing thoroughly. Stir in enough remaining flour that dough leaves sides of bowl. Knead 8 mins. Place in olive oil greased bowl and rise 30 mins. 

Preheat Oven to 425° Punch down risen dough. Roll out pizza crusts on two 12 inch pizza pie pans. Partially bake for 7 minutes. Remove from oven and add sauce, cheese, and toppings. Return to oven for 8-10 minutes. Cut into slices. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment