Saturday, February 12, 2011

Perfect Roast Beef


If you're like me, it can sometimes feel intimidating to plate up a perfect roast, especially when your mother-in-law's in town! After years of roasting misfortune, I'd almost given up, until I overheard a terrific roasting secret and I've never balked at doing another roast since!

To get the perfect roast, first heat your oven to 500° F. Prepare your roast in a roasting pan or tightly covered oven dish. Bake 5 min/ lb for rare, 6 min/lb for medium, and 7 min/lb for well. Then, turn off the oven and make sure the door is shut. Keep the door closed without opening for two hours. Your roast is perfect, every time! I like to toss in whole potatoes and carrots and serve up slices with some home-canned green beans from the summer harvest.

Organically, Me. 



PERFECT ROAST BEEF
Preheat oven to 500° F

Free Range Pasture Grazed Beef Roast
2 medium  organic onions
4 medium organic potatoes
5 organic carrots
1 cup tomato or beef stock (water can be used if no stock is available)
1 cup dry red wine (I prefer Shiraz by Yellow Tail)
2 Tbsp Raw Demerera Sugar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic
Smoked Paprika
Dried Marjoram


Trim excess fat if necessary from beef roast. Place beef roast in baking dish. Season well with Paprika. Slice onions, peel potatoes, and place in baking dish with whole carrots. On stove top, combine stock, wine, sugar, worcestershire, salt, and garlic. Stir well until heated. Pour into roasting pan. Sprinkle generously with Marjoram. 

Place roasting pan in oven and bake 5 min/lb for rare, 6 min/lb for medium, or 7 min/lb for well at 500° F. Turn off oven and keep door closed for 2 hours. DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR. After 2 hours: slice, plate, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment